And, now, for something completely different.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

And, now, for something completely different.

Post by Simon Ambrosius on Sun May 19, 2013 4:35 am

*lays a suit of Chozo Power Armor, the Master Sword, the Shield of Seals, a Franklin Badge, Wario's Motorcycle, Captain Falcon's helmet, a Warp Star, a set of eight badges, and various other memorabilia on a massive pile of dried Super Mushrooms*

...Looks like Nintendo's shot itself in the foot. ...Or the dick. At this rate, it'll get gangrene, and be death by septic shock.

For those of you who don't live inside a Youtube window, Nintendo's decided that anything at all on Youtube, ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING, that they feel uses their intellectual property? Either they are the only ones who see any sort of revenue from that video, or, that video dies.

Now, what does this mean? Well, nobody can use any sort of music from Nintendo anymore, for anything, without Iwata-san pitching a fit. You present yourself as an adorable little Goomba in your show that you use to teach people about how video games can make you multicultrural? NOT ANYMORE, JACK.

And, Let's Plays? FORGET ABOUT IT.

Now, this just may be a tirade, but, I now have to SERIOUSLY question the intelligence and mental health of Nintendo's management. Now, yes, LEGALLY, they're within their rights to do this.

...But, what sane person WOULD!?!

I mean, let's look at other companies out there. Like, say... Microsoft. If there's a MORE money-hungry multi-national BIBLICAL BEHEMOTH of a business, I don't know what it is. But, they aren't doing this. I mean, how many of the game dev teams that makes Xbox games does Microsoft own, either in part, or outright? Or PC games, for that matter? You don't see people getting sued by Microsoft for making Troll videos in CoD, because it HAPPENS to be on a 360. Even when said Troll flaunts the fact. (They will swindle him out of subscription fees, but, that's another tirade.)

And, then, indie developers. Hell, look at Minecraft. I'll hazzard a guess and call that the most-successful Indie Game of all time, regardless of the accuracu of that statement.

...I'll also hazzard a guess and say that, if not for Youtube, Minecraft would never have become as successful as it has now.

What Nintendo's doing is, while not wrong, just STUPID, for a few reasons.

Their fans HAPPILY do this stuff on Youtube. And, the Ad Revenue? Unless you get REALLY big? Like, RoosterTeeth big? Machinima big? The Ad Revenue is a pittance. JUST enough to fund your hobby. Maybe keep your head above water. (People DO make big money on Youtube, but, if you watch? Most of them are Partners.) By Nintendo taking away their only means to do this labor of love? They alienate their fan base. I know they have with me. I mean, I'm getting Pokemon Y when it comes out, but... ...I'm seriously going to weigh things, if I ever consider doing anything with Nintendo beyond that. God knows I'm probably not getting a WiiU, I don't CARE how epic the next Smash Bros. is.

Then, with these videos no longer being made? Eventually, forgotten? Nintendo loses one of the best advertising opportunities there is. I mean, people making Youtube videos? Nine times out of ten, they're PROMOTING your IPs, not stealing them to profit. And, companies lose no money when they do this. Hell, they make it DIRECTLY from the content producer buying their hardware and software, and paying for any network they need to do their work. Not to mention that, by going out and doing all this, these content producers are generating interest in the IP they're covering.

...And, Nintendo doesn't want any part of that. What?

I dunno, maybe I'm just crazy here. Agree? Disagree?

I know this much, though. I intend to do the Youtube Tango myself, if my plans work out in the coming months.

And, I can wholeheartedly say that, at the very least, I will NOT be covering anything Nintendo has hands on. In fact, I may encourage people to do what Nintendo's afraid of here. You want to play the new Mario game? FUCK NO, don't buy it new. Wait for a used copy to turn up. Or pirate it. But, for god's sake, whatever you do, DON'T give Nintendo money.

Okay, rant over. I'm still rather upset with the company that got me into gaming in the first place, but, rant over.

Simon Ambrosius
Forum User
Forum User

Number of posts : 41

Status
Currency: 5845 munny

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top