John Woo's Hard Boiled

View previous topic View next topic Go down

John Woo's Hard Boiled

Post by Abigail Parker on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:59 am

Welp, now that I'm officially recovering for Swimmer's Ear, a Frisbee to the throat (yeah, you heard me right), and a broken leg due to a 50-pound weight smacking into my knee, I figure, why not celebrate with my first review! And the reason I picked this film is because while I was vegging out on a couch for a decent two weeks, I was watching alot of action movies, with this one being the most recent viewing. So without further ado, on with the review:

Title: Hard Boiled
Director: John Woo
Starring: Chow Yun-Fat, Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, Teresa Mo, Philip Kwok, Anthony Wong Chau Sang, and Bowie Lam
Genre: Action

Story:

3/10
Honestly, the story is kinda flimsy, and it gets a little far-fetched toward the end. But hey, it's an action movie, so the best I can expect is "Cop's partner gets butchered, cop swears revenge, crime boss unwittingly hires an assassin who turns out to be an undercover cop, main cop and undercover cop team up, tea houses get shot up, hospitals get shot up, main cop gets saved from burning to death by a baby pissing all over the fire, crime boss gets owned, undercover cop quits and moves away, and main cop is left to drown himself in tequila at the local jazz bar." The thing that really screwed up the story for me is that the main villain has built his arsenal in the basement of a HOSPITAL!!! HOW THE HELL DID HE GET AWAY WITH THAT?!

Action:

9/10
Who doesn't love a little Gun Fu? And no, I do not mean Gun Kata, I mean &%@$ing Gun Fu, you twit. There's a difference. Anyways, the action scenes are awesome, with the opening tea house shootout being the crowning moment of awesome in the movie. I'd go into detail, but you should just rent the damn thing if you wanna know what it's like.

Acting:

Original Cantonese: 6/10
English dub: 3/10
While watching the film in it's original language is all fine and dandy, I actually like to know what in the blue blazes the characters are saying, so I normally watch foreign films with the English dub on first. Most of the lines are good, but towards the end, some of it sounded forced. That's really all I gotta say.

Camera work:

7/10
To be blunt, the camera cuts are horrid. The angles and what not is fine, but the cuts docked a few points in my eyes.

Music:

0/10
I think the fact that I don't remember a single tune written for the film speaks for itself.

Overall rating:

28/50
Hard Boiled is a decent action flick for when you need to see some senseless violence. But if you watch a majority of films for the story, you may be a little disappointed. The dubbing is overall decent enough, but there are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, thanks to said dubbing, while the Cantonese will leave you thinking "What in the &%@$ did they say?" The music was unmemorable, and the camerawork could've been improved when it came to cutting from one scene to another. But if you just need a movie to watch with some popcorn and a soda, I definitely recommend Hard Boiled.
Abigail Parker
Veteran User
Veteran User

Male Number of posts : 4494
Humor : I rode Blaine the Mono at Lud Station, and all I got was a stupid t-shirt.

Status
Currency: 41430 munny

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top